Eggless egg salad sandwich? Say what?
It's true. We did it and you will too after you see how incredibly easy and tasty this recipe is. Let's just say this sandwich is eggsellent!
Silken tofu... the sexist sounding tofu there is.
But how do we create a plant-based sandwich that mimics the texture and flavor of eggs you ask? Well, let's start with foundation of the recipe... silken tofu. Also known as soft tofu, silken tofu perfectly imitates eggs because of its consistency and its neutral flavor.
Our vegan salad sandwich wouldn't be complete without our favorite healthy fat friend... the avocado! To provide the best texture make sure your avocado is perfectly ripe. You know, not too hard or too soft. Juuuuust right.
We found the ripest avocado in all of Germany!
If you've ever had a egg salad sandwich then you know that it has to have a crunch. For our crunch factor we chopped up some pickles and cucumbers! To see the recipe in full effect watch our short and tasty video below!
WATCH OUR RECIPE VIDEO
VEGAN "EGG" SALAD SANDWICH
EGG SALAD MIXTURE
- 1 gherkin cucumber
- 1 large cremini mushroom, peel, cut out brown parts, and diced
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp silken tofu, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp kala namak salt
- 1 pickle, diced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegan remoulade (or vegan mayo)
- 4 Tbsp pickle water
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- vegan remoulade (or vegan mayo) for spreading on the bread
- a pinch of black pepper
1. Combine all egg salad mixture ingredients in a bowl.
2. Then, toast bread until golden brown.
3. Spread desired amount of vegan remoulade or vegan mayo to 2 slices of bread.
4. Add lettuce leaves and egg salad mixture and finish with black pepper.
5. Halve the sandwich if that's your thing!